Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Kitchen Cleaning and other Cleaning topics.
The best brand of sponge to use for washing the dishes and general kitchen cleaning depends on you, and may take a little trial and error. Most brands vary little, except in price. I would recommend using a cellulose sponge, as they rinse easily as you work, and can be washed in the dishwasher (place them in the silverware caddy so they don't fly around during the cycle). Another helpful hint with sponges is to "color-code" your sponges, and use one color for the floors, another color for the toilet, and a third for washing dishes, so the sponges will not get mixed up, and you accidentally use the toilet sponge in the sink.
I don't use my dishwasher that often so when my sponges get mildew-smelling, I put a little liquid dishsoap in it and make sure it's well soaked and then put it in my microwave for up to 5 minutes. I have had great success doing it this way for almost 30 years now. If you do it everyother day, your sponge always is sweet smelling. Easy to clean up the microwave afterwards, too
I have done this method before. but I saw on tv to sanitize a kitchen sponge place it in the microwave on high for two minutes be careful when taking out very hot. I let mine steam the microwave too and wipe it down. It cleans the sponge and the microwave at the same time. I found out it takes bad odors out of my sponge too. Thanks
While growing up, my parents always used natural sponges for everything.They were kept clean by tossing them in the washer and sanitized with bleach in the water. Chlorine bleach seems to deteriorate the cellulose sponges.
I've heard many times over the years that sponges are harbors full of germs and bacteria. The kitchen sink is one of the most germ infested place in your home. House hold bleach is a great disinfectant but so is fresh air and sunshine. Sponges seem to rot real fast once exposed to bleach. Sponges take a long time to dry so it makes sense not to use them for dishes. There are quite a few articles refering to kitchen care and cleanliness. Sponges to me don't seem to be a great choice.
You can also put the sponge in a microwave for two minutes and it will kill the bacteria. Make sure the sponge is completely soaking wet first!
Wow, I never knew about cleaning a sponge in the dishwasher. I just throw them out when they have been used a lot. Thanks for the tip.
Good idea about the color coding.
It is very unwise to soak sponges in water or even soapy water. Bacteria grows in damp/dark places.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|