Mothball Odor Removal

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Stain Removal from Clothes and other Cleaning topics.

How do I remove mothball odors from clothing?

Mothball Odor Removal

To remove mothball odors from clothing that has been in storage, put the clothing in a garbage bag with a few fabric softener sheets, close the bag tightly, and the odor will be gone in a few days. If you want to wear the clothes right away, try putting them in the dryer with a dryer sheet and turn it on to "Air Dry" for about 20 minutes.



10/11/2006 6:45:54 PM
mommyme said:

didnt work 4 me...infact I washed 6 times, tried everything and it wont go away...i'll try vinegar next. *crossing fingers*

10/25/2006 2:37:17 PM
Marilyn said:

The dryer with dryer sheet worked better than putting them in a garbage bag.

8/15/2007 11:59:44 AM
Kelly said:

You need to air it out first. That is the only way to effectively remove moth boll and throft store odors. Then wash it. Fabric softener ina bag is just a cover up. toodles.

1/28/2009 4:46:31 AM
Gman said:

this step requires store bought rubbing alcohol and a good trigger sprayer and an outdoor treatment area. take garment and hang on a line outdoors. with rubbing alcohol in the spray bottle, saturate the garment and allow it to air dry. due to high flammability of the alcohol, do no place into a dryer. do not smoke or hang garment near a heat source. do not hang garment where alcohol vapor will migrate towards any of the above. the dryers sheets are not removing the mothball odors, just masking them. store bought alcolol is 30% water and 70% alcohol. if you can find 100% it works better regarding evaporation. sometimes a drug store has it, you have to ask for it. the other is fine also. what you need to watch with water is some fabrics are not colorfast. they may run if water is present. if this is the case, use the 100% alcohol.

1/28/2009 5:49:01 AM
esther said:

you should not use mothballs in the first place. it is a toxic chemical and it could make you sick.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Cleaning Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Alexis Niki